Saturday, March 17, 2012
Recipe: Roast Vegetable, Spinach and Pesto Tart
This is a lovely dish i cooked tonight as a mother's day treat for my mum and family. She loves pastry, roast veg and pesto, so i thought this would be the ideal dinner to try out on her. I also bought her some chocolate too- i know it's traditional (infact all the way back from Roman times) to buy/go out and pick flowers for mothers day, but I know my mum much prefers chocolate! I know it's saturday, but i'll be working all day tommorow so i figured i'd treat her tonight. Hope my brother does something nice for her tommorow, he's such a numpty, he's probably forgotten! This tart turned out very nicely, and as my dad pointed out I reckon it would also be very nice using 50g parmesan + 50g pine nuts instead of the lancashire too as a different variation on it.
Roast Vegetable and Pesto Tart (serves 4) £2 per serving with new potatoes and salad.
4 tbsp olive oil
1 orange pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium courgette, diced
120g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
1 red onion, diced
120ml double cream
100g finely grated/crumbled Lancashire cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter (to grease the dish)
1 circle of ready rolled short crust pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Add the diced pepper, courgette, mushrooms, red onion, and olive oil to a roasting tin. Add a bit of salt and pepper, toss the vegetables to coat in the oil, and put in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Put the double cream, pesto and spinach in a saucepan on a medium heat, stirring often, for about 10 minutes- or until all the spinach has wilted. Mix in the roasted vegetables, season to taste and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a pie/flan dish with butter, and put the pastry into the dish, trimming around the edges. Prick the middle with a fork a few times, and bake blind for 6 minutes.
4. Pour the vegetable mix into the pie case. Top with the grated cheese, and bake in the oven at 180C for 25 minutes.
5. Place the tart underneath a hot grill for about five minutes, in order to brown the cheese a little bit, and serve!