Saturday, September 25, 2010
Recipe: Broccoli, Red Onion and Courgette Penne
I know when i've made something delicious, because I will have big second helpings at the table, and then two hours later, when i'm hungry again (such a greedy girl!) I will finish off the leftovers!! Might be a few less recipes over the next couple of weeks, i have SO MUCH work for for A2 levels it's insane. Also i'm out picking loads of things from my local country walks and marinating them/making them into jellies at the moment. At this rate i'm going to be giving "Hedgerow Hampers" to everyone for Christmas!
Broccoli, red onion and Courgette Penne (serves 2) £1.07 per portion
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
300g courgettes, halved and sliced fairly thin
200g dried penne
100g broccoli, cut into small florets
100g crème fraiche
25g finely grated cheddar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, sauté the red onion, garlic and oregano covered for three minutes. Add the courgettes and cook covered for a further three minutes.
2. Meanwhile boil a large pan of salted water. Add the penne and cook according to pan instructions.
3. Remove the lid from the onion + courgette mixture, and keep frying on a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the pasta is ready.
4. 3 minutes before the pasta is ready, add the broccoli florets to the boiling water.
5. Drain the penne and broccoli well, and add to the pan with the courgette and onion mixture. Add the crème fraiche and cheddar and stir in, cooking the mixture for 1 minute or until everything is well combined and the cheese has melted. Season to taste and serve!